The following article is part of our “Well Care” series on BioVedaWellness.com, about ingredients commonly used in every day products,that should be avoided in order to maintain optimal health and wellness. This week Liz explores the health effects of Sodium Fluoride.
– Guest Columnist, Liz Hopwood, BioVeda Health and Wellness Center
Do you brush your teeth twice a day? Have you ever looked at the ingredients in your toothpaste? Sodium Fluoride is one of the main ingredients in toothpaste, it also the main ingredient in rat and cockroach poison! Are you putting poison in your mouth twice a day?
While researching this topic, I looked at the toothpaste from my drawer and this is what it states:
Keep out of the reach of children under 6 years of age.
If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
Ask a dentist before use if you have:
• Bleeding or redness lasting more than 2 weeks
• Pain, swelling, pus, loose teeth, or more spacing between teeth
These may be signs of Periodontitis, a serious form of gum disease
WHAT!!!!! Why would the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approve this chemical for any person to use. Surprisingly, the FDA has never approved the use of Sodium Fluoride. Additionally, a 1990 study stated that fluoride does NOT reduce cavities and scientists are now linking fluoride to dental deformity, arthritis, allergic reactions and about 10,000 unnecessary deaths each year from cancer. (From “Fluoride an equivocal carcinogen. National Cancer Institute).
There are many reasons why the FDA has approved the use of Sodium Fluoride, but some of the main reasons are:
- Increase tumor growth rate by 25%
- Accelerates aging process
- Linked with osteoporosis says 1990 study of 541,000 people
- Increase in bone cancer of young men by 50%
- Increases cancer deaths – confirmed by National Cancer Institute
Some of the side effects you should watch for if you are using Sodium Fluoride are:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- mottled or discolored teeth
- sores in the mouth or on the lips
- stomach pain
- unusually weak or tired
- temporary irritation of the mouth
Another common place you can find Fluoride is in our drinking water. Only about 5% of the world’s population has fluoridated water supplies, and more than 50% of those are in North America. The use of Fluoride has been banned in Austria, Belgium, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Israel, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, and Switzerland.
This was a true eye opener for me! It is really scary to think that we are poisoning ourselves and our loved ones! It takes a few extra seconds to read a label and ultimately better understand what you are putting in our mouth. Please take a minute and research the ingredients, it could save your life!